Thursday, July 3, 2008

On the eve of the 4th of July 2008

I ran out of time and gumption to make a post last week, so I wanted to review the past two weeks in SBU Instructional Technology before enjoying a three day weekend.

On the LMS front, we have a testing ANGEL server running now, which has been of great use for the Administrator training. I just keep finding more and more reasons to like ANGEL, from both the Instructor and Administrator perspectives. For Blackboard, I did receive confirmation from the vendor for our previous My Courses module (with the red push pins and courses organized by semester) that it will not work on our downgraded server. So, I will soon need to make a post here dedicated to working with the original My Courses module. Basically, you can modify the list of courses it will show, that way you are not looking at courses from Fall 2005 if you don't want to.

Summer ITV started June 30th, and with a class that starts a 7am, and another that ends at 5:45pm, I've had rather long days in the office. Working towards a three day weekend has helped, and the classes themselves have all run very smoothly. It can be kinda quiet here without some students going in and out from ITV classes. And I always enjoy seeing communication technology making it possible to deliver face-to-face learning in a convenient-for-many way.

And today marked the first major installs for new Electronic Classrooms this summer. Jester Learning and Performance Center's 244 room now has all the equipment it needs. There are some minor issues to resolve, otherwise the room is nearly done. The list I have made to keep track of all the efforts is fairly long, such that I have to scroll up and down a fair amount in OneNote to see it all. But getting this room, and the projector mounted in the Art Department's computer lab, serves as a great way to start checking items off the list.

No comments: